Friday, January 15, 2016

This town is demolishing everything dear to me!

Hi hi------

So I've been living in the same apartment in Osaka prefecture for the past year and a half, and I am quite devastated about the current turn of events.

I went to get my weekly sushi for dinner yesterday after work only to find that my town's kaitenzushi (the fast food sushi that comes around on a conveyor belt) is currently being torn down.  It was a 5 minute walk or less from my apartment building.

Last summer, the chain izakaya (Japanese style pub) and Mister Donuts were also closed, and their building has been torn down and rebuilt with the promise of at least the donut place's return sometime this month.  It was a three minute walk from my apartment building and right next to the local train station.

At the end of August last year, the super store behind my house that basically provided all my life's needs was closed.  It was called Daiei.

I stole this picture from Wikipedia.
I loved seeing that giant logo right behind my apartment building.  I could come home and not have any dinner plans but walk over in a minute and pick something out to cook or eat right away.  The supermarket was plentiful with fresh produce and also ready-to-eat food and drinks and even small food shops that sold burgers and crepes.  This was all only in the basement too.  There was a bookstore in there and a little arcade and a 100 yen store (dollar store) for all my cheap needs like notebooks, clothes hangers, snacks, batteries, stickers, tape, storage boxes, etc.  There was also a clothing store and a pharmacy and a shoe store and a clothing thrift store and so many many things.  I bought a lot of my furniture from there.  Daiei supplied my life.  And now it's dead.  Dead and almost gone.  Every day now I can see it be taken down little by little.  Look.


So in the past year, I learned about all these wonderful places, and now they've all been taken from me.  Next thing you know, they're gonna take away the next closest dollar store and my favorite Donki store..... T__T

This is Donki.  I stole this pic from its website.  It's kinda like a Walmart.  Kinda.

I already feel like they've taken away everything dear to me leaving me to have to grow up and learn to cook and plan meals finally like some kind of responsible adult.  ORZ

Sigh.  I already lived really far away from city conveniences, and now all I can do is take swigs of a canned drink and watch the crumbling debris of my once-savior from my apartment and think if I'll have toast or ramen for dinner.

#IknowI'mamess
#cry



2 comments:

  1. That would devastate me too- being in a wheelchair and all, the super store would be fantastic for me. Not to mention the 100 yen place. I could probably get lost in there for the art supplies alone.
    You need to post more videos ! I Love seeing Japan, especially from your point of view.
    Wave at the people for me from America. And try to speak a little southern accent for them -the people from there I've spoken with so far think that southern accent is the coolest thing since the rice cooker lol.

    Take care Sandara.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tony!

    Actually, I know that one of the reasons it closed down is because it was really wheelchair-unfriendly. There were escalators but no elevators (at least none for public use), and the bathrooms were located on landings IN BETWEEN stairs so there was no getting around having to use stairs to access the restrooms. So I know that plans for the next building will address these concerns.

    The super store was amazing though. And it provided an interesting everyday place to visit for people who visited me and wanted to do something close to my apartment on their own. Like, my mom and sister could go there easily to buy snacks or foods or just walk around to see what shopping was like. I miss it sooooo much.

    And, ha ha...I think you'd have to ask Andrew to do that Southern accent for them. I can't do it justice, lol.

    Thank you, Tony! I'm trying to get on that regular upload routine! I hope I can get some more things up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete