Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Tales of Kyoto

Today, I showed Kyoto-sensei, the vice principal, some of the paper gingerbread cookies that some students made.  He liked them.  He said they were cute.  Then I pointed out the gingerbread man with sketchy eyes, and he pointed to it and then me and motioned that that cookie was me.  I was like, nuh uh, and then I pointed to a cuter gingerbread cookie.  He then pointed to the cuter one and said, "me.  not you.  that is you," and pointed to the sketchy eyed cookie.  LoL, and then I pretended to be upset, and then we both laughed.  Good times.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another time, Kyoto-sensei came to use the laminator, which is on the desk next to mine.  He hadn't used it in a while and forgot some how-to's, and so I had to tell him that he needed to turn it on and wait 20 minutes for it to heat up (it was a really old laminator).  So he kinda chilled next to me while it heated up.  He noticed my work purse, which is a large navy blue Coach purse my aunt bought me as graduation present.  He told me it was very cool (kakkoii).  When I told him my obachan, aunt, bought it for me, he laughed a bunch.  I asked why, and he said it was funny that I said obachan.  I'm guessing it was funny because it's a more familiar and casual word than the expected obasan.  The san part makes it formal, and the chan makes it more informal and cute.



Sports Day was coming up in late September, and I found out from my Kocho-sensei, the principal, that teachers were assigned to student teams.  I was assigned to the red team, which was comprised of all A homeroom students from first to third year.  I was really excited to be included and stuff, so I told Kocho-sensei and Kyoto-sensei that I wanted to buy a red tracksuit so I could wear what all the other teachers wore and show team spirit.  Both when I told them and when I showed them the tracksuit I bought, the two said they think it's kawaii, cute, that I bought a red tracksuit for Sports Day.  Then Kyoto-sensei also told Kocho-sensei afterward that my obachan bought my cool Coach purse for me, and they both laughed.

Once, I was walking down the hall, and I heard a throat clearing noise behind me.  I just dismissed it and didn't turn around.  Then it happened again, and it got louder, and then I realized that maybe someone was trying to get my attention.  I turned around.  It was Kyoto-sensei.  Once I stopped to look at him, he then continued to make the noise and pretended he was dying.  He feigned choking and started to fall down, and I made a face of concern and said, "O genki desu ka?" (lit. Are you in good health?) He went, cough cough.  "Byouki ja nai desu ka?"  (You're not sick, are you?)  Blergh cough cough.  "Shinanai de!" (Don't die!)  I yelled. Then he stood up straight and laughed and laughed all the way into the staff room.

No comments:

Post a Comment